Certification Intrest!

Today in foundations class we learned about board certifications and specialty certifications.  All certifications require advanced training, but they differ in who sponsors and hours practiced in a specific area. The board certification from AOTA that stood out to me was the specialty certification in Environmental Modification (STEM). An occupational therapist with this certification can provide a consultation on residential and commercial projects that require extra knowledge on remodeling and construction of new homes, work environments, and community spaces.

This certification appeals to me because my father is a contractor and also owns his own plumbing company. I have grown up helping him on projects from start to finish. Countless times we would have to adapt to situations and come up with creative solutions to fix a problem. Another reason this certification stood out to me is because my grandfather is a double amputee and is in a wheelchair. Before he was discharged from Siskin Rehabilitation, his house had to be COMPLETELY remodeled. I was shocked at how hard it was to make the whole house wheelchair accessible. For example, all of the door frames had to be removed and expanded because his wheelchair did not fit. I strongly believe I can set a goal to achieve this certification. It is past due to make every house, community space, and work environments accessible for everyone!

Comments

  1. How interesting! I bet those skills will serve you well as a future OT practitioner♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful plan for a future pursuit!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Driving and Community Mobility

Aging and Sexual Health